Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Leavin' On A Jet Plane...

I have just arrived at my hotel in Nairobi, Kenya. It is 10 o’clock pm local time and about 2 o’clock in the afternoon back at home. The flights went well, though very long. I flew with Avery, my cousin, and Ashley, a girl from my pharmacy class. We met up with Alan, our fourth pharmacy student, later in Nairobi. They are who I will be spending all my time with.

Our first leg from Indy to Detroit went fast and was easy other than having to say bye to my family and friends. Detroit to Amsterdam was a long flight but tolerable. We were each able to watch our own movies so I watched The Duchess to occupy 2.5 hours of the 8 hour flight. Being the pharmacists that we are, we were convinced we would get DVTs from the long flight and throw a clot so we made sure to get up and make regular laps around the 777. At one point Avery told us if he passes out to just leave him, which we told him we would.

By the time we reached Amsterdam, we were delirious of sleep deprivation (about 3 am home time) and waited half awake for our connecting flight to Nairobi (another 8 hour flight). I was able to sleep the first 3 hours then watched the movie Blood Diamond. It was really good but probably not the best choice on our way to Africa. It is the true story about conflict diamonds in Sierra Leone and portrays lots of violence and child soldiers. By the end of it I was pretty convinced I was heading into a war zone. We flew through Europe then over Libya, Egypt, The Sudan, Ethiopia, and then finally Kenya. It was incredible seeing the Sahara Desert. Then over the Sudan we passed refugee camps which were astonishing sights. Very heartbreaking, but another eye opener to what we may encounter in Kenya.

By the time Nairobi was in sight, the three of us were miserable and convinced we had pressure sores on our bums. Not to mention how dirty we felt after a full 24 hours of traveling. We gathered our luggage, purchased our visas and met our driver to take us to our hotel for the night in Nairobi. On the way I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me from the lack of sleep. I was staring out the matatu (taxi) window and next to us, on the road, a 15 foot giraffe was walking along!!! In the middle of downtown Nairobi! It was the PERFECT way to start out my African adventure as giraffes are my favorite animal! Our driver then gave us a mini Kiswahili lesson and rolled us out at the Fairview hotel…”the country inn, in town”. Or so they claim. The hotel was wonderful – all white and clean—and we met Alan there. After sending arrival emails to our parents we showered and hit the hay around 12am with a wakeup coming at 5am to catch our flight to Eldoret. A long, but very fun experience!

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you watched Blood Diamond on the way there!! Glad you made it safely, though. Post some pics if you get a chance. I'm sure Zoe and Ashlie would LOVE to see some shots of a giraffe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Izzy~ Oriana wants to know if you took a picture of the giraffe yet. She's counting on it!!!!! We are very glad that you have made it there safely. Oh, and Oriana also wants to know if you have seen any monkeys. Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabeeeeeeeeel! I'm exhausted just reading that!!! I can't imagine how you feel. I'm glad you made it there safely. I can't believe you watched Blood Diamond, you doopa. I miss you lots and just put your robe out in my room :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iz!! :) Well, Bailey and I are reading your post and pretty excited to hear from both your blog and from Patthew that you made it there safely. Also, seriously you saw a giraffe? Definitely my favorite animal, too. How can it not be when at birth it's six feet tall!?! Well, I do have to agree with the others, no more watching gory movies about Africa in route to Africa! Anyway, take care and we hope to hear from you soon. Love,
    Bai and KSap

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Isabel, So very interesting, you are going to have to write a book when you get home. Sounds like a fantastic experience. I can't imagine the conditions there and for you to see it first hand and live it, how cool! Stay safe and enjoy!
    Keep up the writing, I love it!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete