Monday, January 26, 2009

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things

What I miss from home:

1) Matt, my parents, my siblings, my grandparents
2) Brushing my teeth without bottled water
3) Knowing how much things actually cost
4) Not eating curry and rice every night for dinner
5) Speaking the language (actually being able to TALK to my patients)
6) Alone time
7) Not having to worry about stepping in fresh cow dung on my walk to work
8) Not being stared at everywhere you go
9) People knowing my name – not just “Hey, muzungu!”
10) Not having to carry toilet paper with you everywhere
11) Driving on the right side of the road
12) Not watching people die on a daily basis
13) Drinking tap water
14) The pace in which you can get things accomplished
15) Being on the same time
16) Being ON time
17) Not having to take malaria prophylaxis
18) My mom to take care of me when I’m sick
19) Matt
20) Katie : (
21) Soy milk
22) Not having to wear a watch
23) Not sleeping under a mosquito net
24) Driving
25) The people

What I love about being here:
1) Being able to walk to work
2) PASSION FRUIT JUICE
3) Always having friends around
4) Weekend excursions
5) Learning the language/culture
6) Trying new things
7) Being popular (haha, they just love me for my hair)
8) Seeing the difference you can make in someone’s life
9) The music
10) The difference a simple smile makes
11) How excited people are to talk about Obama
12) The number of times a day I get asked if I know Obama personally
13) The number of times I get asked if I’m related to Obama
14) The number of times I get asked if Ashley and I are sisters
15) Everyone’s go-with-the-flow attitude
16) Telling Benson Obama called to tell him “hi”
17) The power of a Jolly Rancher
18) Leyah’s enthusiasm
19) Realizing I’m in Africa
20) Talking to the tomato lady
21) Embarrassing Dennis
22) Learning
23) Watching the Kenyan runners
24) Drinking water out of wine and vodka bottles
25) The people

4 comments:

  1. Where the heck are we on this list??! :( Bailey and I are not missed, but oh Matthew is missed twice! What in the world? Just kidding.

    Well, we still MISS YOU ANYWAY. :) We're having a snow day today and I think Matt and Scott and I might go play at Park Tudor on the playground and try to conjure up a sled. (I'm hoping some poor little kid left their's at school yesterday and we can borrow it.) Sounds pretty exciting, right? Especially when you're in like 90 deg weather over there. haha I like the lists you made, pretty funny. And, you mean to say that you don't know Obama? I thought you were distant cousins or something... Well, take care. I hear from Matt that you got sick, so I hope it's nothing to serious and you get well soon.

    Oh and Scott's not next to me reading it this time, but I'm sure he would have to comment on the wine and vodka bottles and say something like - "I'm sure that water is jungle potion. hehehehe" (He did come back and say that, actually.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your stories, Isabel! They put me there with you, which is where I'd love to be!
    Take care and be safe! Love you, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabel everything sounds so fantastic! What an experience, sorry it took me so long to leave a comment. Keep taking everything in and rememeber we all love and miss you at home (your cousin)

    *Ashley*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that you got sick. It sucks being sick 8,000ish miles away from home!! Hope you feel better soon.

    One of my favorite things about Kenya was walking to work...unless I got stuck behind the cows on the way to work...then there was not just worry about falling in cow dung while wearing the oh so attractive white jacket but then there was risk of falling in FRESH cow dung!!

    Another favorite just happens to be passion fruit juice. Which you will be glad to know that Welch's makes it and it is absolutely delicious. I think that I would also add the abundance of fresh avocado in my diet while in Kenya and that fantastic tacos and amazing chocolate cake that Panina makes from time to time! She does take requests if you are nice to her!!!

    Enjoy the rest of your time and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete